Assistance to the Control of the Territorial Sustainable Development Actions
The method developed by Gilles OLIVE, founder of the High Environmental Quality approach (HQE)
The control of the territorial sustainable development actions = The control of the actions of implementation on territories of sustainable development policies = The assurance that the actions of territorial sustainable development are of satisfactory quality globally = The assurance of the quality of the objective and the management of the actions of territorial sustainable development so that their result is of optimal quality, in their spatial and temporal context.
We work on the control of all the possible types of actions of territorial sustainable development, that is on the control of the actions about are:
- A territory taken in general, which we want satisfying economic, societal and environmental points of view.
- A means of territorial arrangement (MTA) – buildings and facilities – which we want whether it is a contribution to the implementation of a sustainable development policy applied to its territory of settingup, and whether we shall call "sustainable MTA".
- A MTA that we cannot want, for cyclical reasons, whether it is a sustainable MTA, but whether we can want at least satisfactory from the energy point of view or better from the environmental point of view.
- Actions concerning a MTA: (1) “operation of construction” or “creation” or “realization”, (2) “activity of management (which includes the maintenance)” or “use” or “exploitation”, (3) “operation of adaptation” or “renovation” or “rehabilitation”, (4) “operation of deconstruction” or “destruction” or “demolition”.
- Actions concerning a territory taken in general: (1) “project of arrangement”, (2) “project of renewal”, (3) “activity of management”.
Our range of services consists of three types of services:
- (1) Assistance to the decision-makers and the operators of territorial sustainable development actions, by the strategic advice and the operational assistance (advice and the provision of tools), to ensure a real control of these actions.
- (2) Assistance to the authorities of regions (subnational, national or supranational), for the development and the use of regional territorial systems of labelling of the territorial sustainable development actions, to ensure their real control.
- (3) Assistance to the operators of actions concerning given types of MTA to the joint use of certifications of the environmental quality of these entities and the “labelling TSD (Territorial Sustainable Development – actions control)”, allowing to take into account at best the territorial implications of these actions.
Our range of services requires carrying out systematically a preliminary study:
Indeed and on one hand, it is necessary to gather a minimum of knowledge on (1) the applicable sustainable development policies establishing the objectives of the actions, (2) the territories of application of these policies (3) and the possible actions. On the other hand, we have not developed our method – the TSD (Territorial Sustainable Development – actions control) system –with overconfident idea that it would allow the direct control of any particular action of territorial sustainable development
OUR METHOD = The TSD (Territorial Sustainable Development – actions control) system :
Regarding territorial sustainable development policy, to improve existing policies or to develop new policies through experimental applications, and this so fast and in so relevant a way as possible, we suggest using the TSD system, because, to our knowledge, among little of methods existing at the international level and which deal with the evaluation and/or with the management of the territorial sustainable development, TSD system is one of rare who allies the following qualities:
- The TSD system is a real help to the action. Indeed, TSD system includes an approach of actions which is a method allowing to define not only the objective of an action but also the management system of this action to lead it at best in its context.
- The TSD system applies four really inescapable principles: (1) The necessity of defining any sustainable development policy according to three economic, societal and environmental dimensions, (2) The necessity of the adaptability of the built living environment of the territories and by their components, (3) The necessity of the permanent consideration of the role of the culture in the sustainable development, (4) The necessity of establishing the governance of the sustainable territories on democratic practices resulting from the organized management of their development.
- The TSD system allows to manage all the possible types of territorial sustainable development actions.
The TSD system is carried by the “D2C Club” and the “S.BE.I-France” company. It began to be developed by Gilles OLIVE and Olivier PIRON within the Club D2C.
D2T system : The labelling of territories and buildings
The system of control of the actions of territorial sustainable development TSD (Territorial Sustainable development – actions control), also called "D2T (Développement Durable Territorial – maîtrise des actions)", includes a system of labelling:
Very effective, because this labelling is a labelling not only results of actions, but actions taken in their global nature, thus a help (1) to their decision, their definition and their realization, (2) to all the concerned actors and (3) in their reproducibility,
Highly varied, because this system of labelling concerns:
- The actions relative to territories taken as a whole (projects of development, projects
of renewal or activities of management),
- The actions relative to the means of territorial development (buildings and equipments), namely) (1) the operations of construction or creation or realization, (2) the activities of management (including the maintenance) or use or operation, (3) the operations of adaptation or renovation or rehabilitation, (4) the operations of deconstruction or demolition or destruction,
Having for unique reason for being the optimization of the quality of all these actions.
This system of labelling thus has for objective the optimization of the quality of the actions of improvement of the quality of territories and means of territorial development (buildings and equipments), knowing that the definition of the reserved quality is: " the quality of an entity is all the characteristics of this entity which confer it the capacity to satisfy a requirement " (G. OLIVE, according to the standard NF EN ISO 8402 of 07-95).
The labels of the actions concerning territories are called: labels "Optimal Quality of Territories (OQT)".
The labels of the actions concerning buildings are called: labels "Optimal Quality of Buildings (OQB) ".